Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Come Back


On Sun July 16 at 8:20 A.M the start gun went off for the Toronto Duathlon. 5k run, 32k bike, 5k run
This was my first race after a 3 year break. (marriage, house, baby). Previously I had done 22 races.
During the first 5k run, I kept reminding myself today's race was for fun, as racers I had beaten in the past ran by me.
The 32k bike quickly reminded me of how important it is to be focused and relaxed during a race. 2 racers took some major wipe outs in front of me. When your biking at 40K/Hour you have to react fast to avoid disaster yourself.
The last 5k was physically and mentally challenging. Thoughts of 'Can I still do this?' "Yes I can Do this", "How much further?', "Keep going" kriss cross through the mind. Every race reminds me, for instant success, one must be aware of the present moment. Each running stride, every breath in and out. The past / future are to used as planning tools.
Crossing the finishing line was a huge Confidence Boost!
You can do anything you want, you just have to do it.

No comments: